Kuala Lumpur, 16 June 2023 — The most anticipated time of the year for durian lovers is here! Durian season is finally upon us, and excitement (and delicious durian fragrance!) is in the air. An acquired taste for some, the King of Fruits remains a huge favourite among locals in Malaysia, with many types and varieties to choose from.
As you begin your search this year for the best durian stall or dessert, why not include a funky staycation in your itinerary? From a luxurious villa overlooking a durian orchard to an actual durian treehouse, check out these Airbnb Stays that are a must-visit for every durian lover out there.
Getaways with a grand view
- A private hilltop hideaway, Brickhouse Bukit Tinggi in Bentong, Pahang offers breathtaking views of rolling hills and surrounding durian orchards. With large open spaces coupled with a minimalist industrial interior, guests can enjoy the fresh air and cool mountain breeze over a restful weekend.
- Making a trip to Penang for the infamous Balik Pulau durians, and looking for a place to stay? Head over to Villa Astana at Karuna Hill, a quiet sanctuary amidst the hills. Take a walk at the durian farm in full bloom, or experience stunning sunsets from the balcony while enjoying the outdoor jacuzzi.
Lush durian sanctuaries
- Now’s the time to live out your childhood dreams of staying in a treehouse! Also in Balik Pulau, this two-storey, open air treehouse is designed around an 80-year-old durian tree. Set amidst a 16-acre sustainable fruit orchard, this unique lodging is one with nature and with all the modern amenities you’ll need.
- If your durian adventure leads you to Hulu Langat, Selangor, here are some dreamy stays to choose from. Overlooking a cascading stream and nestled among luscious greenery, Tanah Larwina and Far Far Away are eco-friendly retreats for those looking to escape from city life. Boasting their own private pools, you can even enjoy s’mores or barbeque in the great outdoors. Both properties are dotted with local fruit trees (durian included) – surely a treat if you visit in season!
Fairytale farm stays
- Durian season means more reasons to travel south! Immerse yourself in quiet farm life at the Durian Guesthouse in Kulai, Johor. Run by a lovely family, guests can enjoy home-cooked meals and tour the property’s very own permaculture farm, with homegrown fruit trees, herbs and vegetables.
- Awake to the sounds of birds chirping and the bubbling river at Aman Dusun: The Blue House – your own little jungle paradise in Hulu Langat. The home boasts its own goat farm and abundant local fruit trees including durian, rambutan and more.
Note: All stays referenced are intended purely to inspire and illustrate. Airbnb does not recommend or endorse specific stay or experience listings on the Airbnb platform.