Selangor, 30 August 2018 – The recent ammonia gas leak from an ice factory in Shah Alam led to the death of two factory workers, and despite containing the leak, it was then reported a few days later that six pupils from SMJK Chung Hwa, a Chinese school located right in front of the factory was rushed to the hospital for nausea – a suspected cause from inhaling ammonia gas.

As this is a cause of concern, 3M Malaysia, the global science company renowned for its 3M™ N95 masks have donated various respirators worth RM36, 246.00 to SMJK Chung Hwa in an effort to protect students and teachers from dangerous gases and particles.

The 1,580 pieces of donated items for protection against ammonia include the 3M™ Half Facepiece Dual Cartridge Reusable Respirator, 3M™ Multi Gad/Vapor Cartridge, 3M™ Safety Goggles, 3M™ Particulate Respirator 8246, R95 Specialty Respirators for Dusty Conditions with Nuisance Odor. Additionally, as the haze is returning, 3M Malaysia also donated 1,600 pieces of the 3M™ Particulate Foldable Respirator.

“Ammonia poisoning can be deadly, depending on the concentration you’re exposed to, especially since it is a severe respiratory tract irritant. With six students already sent to the hospital, it is critical that adequate protection is provided to curb further exposure to the hazardous gas,” said Mr. Parameswaran Nair, Managing Director of 3M Malaysia.

3M Malaysia also conducted a talk which helped students and faculty members better understand the specifications of each product, and the correct way to use the respirators. As the primary design purpose of a respirator is to reduce the exposure to airborne hazards, it needs to be fitted correctly and tightly to create a seal to protect the user from particles and gases.

“We are pleased to play a vital role in ensuring the health and safety of students and teachers at SMJK Chung Hwa, and we hope that the six students make a full and speedy recovery,” added Parameswaran.